utiliVisor Delivers Customized Energy Solution to New Jersey’s Premier Hospital
As one of the nation’s premier healthcare leaders, Hackensack University Medical Center, a 775–bed teaching and research hospital affiliated with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, is the largest provider of inpatient and outpatient services in the state of New Jersey.
The HUMC District Cooling system consists of four central chilled water plants, which provide 8,000 tons of cooling to multiple critical facilities. The CUP consists both of electric centrifugal chillers and a 1,600 ton York Steam Turbine.
Energy Saving Opportunities
Allen Prinzi (Director of Engineering) and John Nesbitt (Asst. Chief Engineer) knew the cost of operating the multi-fuel Central Chilled Water Plant needed to be reduced. Hackensack University Medical Center was looking to partner with an energy advisory firm that had in depth utility rate expertise and hands-on operating experience of energy plant and metering systems.
utiiVisor engineers reviewed the chiller plant operation and identified the following areas of savings:
- Chiller Part-Load Performance
- Correcting Condenser Water and Chilled Water Flows
- Monitoring the Hyradulic Bypass
- Control Loop Tuning
- Chiller Sequencing
Peter Angerame of utiliVisor worked with Siemens Building Technologies to develop customized energy solutions that upgrade the existing building control system by adding chiller performance data from Carrier and York gateways. utiliVisor added ultrasonic flowmeters to the chilled water, condenser water, steam condensate and the main chilled water bypass valve. Since start-up, utiliVisor has been improving the chiller plant’s performance by the following:
- Providing the operations staff with the energy consumption in “real-time.”
- Monitoring the system 24/7/365 and making recommendations.
- Tracking actual chiller performance vs. design performance.
- Enhance control system performance.
- Providing training to engineering staff.
- Analysis based on the utility rates to determine which system is most cost effective to operate.
- Customizable data analysis for reporting structure.
utiliVisor’s proposal, which included Siemens and flow measurement devices, had an initial investment of $434,093 for hardware, software, and monitoring for the first year. The projected is producing $473,000 in energy savings per year.
“utiliVisor has not only been instrumental in helping HUMC reduce it’s carbon footprint, they have created the capital investment needed for future energy projects on our campus.”
– John Nesbitt, Asst. Chief Engineer
Energy Oversight + Insight
Location: Hackensack, NJ
Central Chiller Plant: 8,000 tons
Implementation: utiliVisor Energy Plant Services
Annual Savings: $473,000